Blogger Layouts

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Oldies But Goodies Blog Hop

     Hello, welcome to the Design Divas OBG (Oldies but goodies) blog hop.  This is a fun hop where we create a card using supplies that are at least 6 months old.  If you want to start at the beginning hop on over to INKclinations.  If you have arrived here from Papercraftmemories you are in the right spot.

I love Japanese stamps and used one of my favorites to create my card for today.  This stamp has a taiyou (courtesan) with her child.  It is from a series of woodcut studies of this particular woman.  It is a favorite because the stamp includes her child. As far as I have found, there are not too many Asian stamps that include children.  I tried to keep to traditional colors for my image giving the image a traditional purple soft obi and yellow hairpins.  The little boy would perhaps have been wearing purple to visit the local temple?

     Washi paper is so delightful to work with and I have had this in my collection for several years as well.  I horde every last scrap to be used as an embellishment or stripe.  Like you see in this card.  The texture of this paper is just lovely, very soft like fabric and the colors are so beautiful.  Did you know that Japanese ladies of long ago would write love letters on this type of paper and layer it just like we layer our cards?

     The little charm in the corner is from my stash and is the symbol for water, which I thought went well with the water reflection.

     OK, probably too much info for this card, but as you can see I love most things Japanese (no sushi please).
      I believe both the papers and stamp came from Stone House Stamps.  The gold paper is my every favorite gold wrapping paper.  I may take years to get through the jumbo roll I keep in my craft room. lol.

     Next on your hop is Gina Lindsy at Ginasmakingandmusings.  Pop on over and see what a wonderful card she has created.

19 comments:

  1. I love Japanese things as well (including sushi!). this is gorgeous. Love the papers, and your image is beautiful. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad you're linked now hun, wouldn't have wanted to miss this! Gorgeous!!! love your image and pretty colors!
    hugs & blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a gorgeous image!!! Love your coloring and the papers you chose!! Great job!
    You should enter this in the Use It Tuesday challenge- to make a card in honor of Japan.
    http://useittuesday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Mary! You had me at Japanese, but this is just stunning! Awesome use of design and color! Wonderful! Blessings to you, DIVA friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, this is so gorgeous! I have some washi paper gifted to me by a friend, and I hoard what's left of it, too! It truly is a dream to work with! LOVE your card!

    Hugs,
    Lorie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Asian themed designs and this image is so lovely. Beautiful papers and layout too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card. I love Asian themes as well, and have nothing in my stash that is remotely Asian.

    BTW - fed the fish as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow- that is one beautiful card! I love the image- that is fabulous! The colors are beautiful- Oh my- you actually cut your Washi paper? I may have an idea for next month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning card Mary!! I love the beautiful paper you used.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh pretty! Pretty! Such cool papers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is gorgeous! I love my washi paper as well and the way you paired it is fabulous! Love all the colors!

    Thanks so much for choosing to play with us at Use It Tuesday for such a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary, this is a beautiful card!!! I love your layout, the papers and your coloring as well!!
    Just awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary, what a beatiful Asian inspired card..always love them but you have created one that is especially gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous card!! ...what??!! NO SUSHI??!! What's that about??!! You start with SUSHI, to like Japan! JK! ;-) Beautiful coloring too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a gorgeous card! Love all the stunning details.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so beautiful! I love all the layers and the pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful card. Great job.

    ReplyDelete