Blogger Layouts

Saturday, December 8, 2012

December Rose

      Today is my mother's birthday.  She transitioned a little over a year ago. During her funeral mass one of the priests (there were several priests, a monsignor and a bishop there) said "God gave us memories so that we may have roses in December."  Since then she has been our December Rose,  it is especially appropriate because her birthday is in December.

     So for today's post I created a special easel card for my dad with a beautiful poem written by my niece about our December Rose.

     For the card I used a watercolor technique for the rose stamp and then added a cover of vellum with the poem computer generated on it.  Here's a close up so you can actually read the poem.
      I am so proud of my niece for writing this poem.  She was especially close to my mother and feels her loss as keenly as my sisters and I.  She is my oldest niece and  I actually call her my sister/niece.

       The ornament was something I saw on pinterest.  I thought I would be able to use crystal effects to attach the photo to the back of the ornament, but unfortunately it wouldn't follow the curve of the ornament.  So I just put it inside instead.  I used a piece of decorative paper cut to the same circle size for the back of the ornament.  Inside I added some dazzling diamonds to simulate snow and a small paper rose to match her dress.  This photo was taken way back when my mom was dating my father.  Her sister took it for her in a local park and she sent it to my dad who was in the navy serving on a submarine at the time.

     As you can see I added paper roses and foliage as well as some rhinestone curlicues and beads.  I ran a gold ribbon threw the loop and added another rose  to the center.

Here's the finished set.  I gave it to my dad tonight and I think he really liked it.  He is refusing to decorate for Christmas this year.  His heart just isn't in it, but he can keep this out all year and I think he will.  This picture has always been very special to him.

Stamp - Penny Black Brush Rose
Paper Roses - Recollections
Cuttlebug Swirls embossing Folder
Poem by Melissa Palmer
Stampin' Up Dazzling Diamonds
Queen & Co. Rhinestones
Bazzill Cardstock
Martha Stewart Leaf and Evergreen Punch

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful tribute.
    The card is lovely, the poem very special and the ornament is so sweet,
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful projects, and a wonderful tribute to your mom. This must be such a difficult time for you and our family right now. I am so sorry. I know that your dad will cherish those gifts for a very long time. And your niece is very talented too!

    ReplyDelete