Blogger Layouts

Friday, January 11, 2013

The Lord is My Fortress

     A special woman and friend from my House Mouse list has a grandson in Afghanistan.  This young man is in Explosive Ordinance Disposal and so he is one of the men who strives to keep the rest of our troops safe from those terrible explosive booby-traps on the roads.  I am honored to be able to send him an occasional package and card.

    This time I have a rather special card for him.  After an incident where this young man's arm was broken and several of his friends were killed by a new type of explosive, he began wearing a scarf with the 91st psalm hand written on it.  He has the entire psalm written on that scarf and it touched me and my husband deeply. I have since found out that the 91st psalm is known as the soldier's Pslam.  To continue with the card, I was at the Our Daily Bread booth at a local stamp convention and my husband, Johnny Luv, who is a veteran of the 82nd Airborne,  asked the great folks at Our Daily Bread if they had anything with the psalm on it and low and behold they had two scriptures from that psalm.  Johnny Luv promptly purchased them and  three other patriotic stamps so that I could make a card for "Our Soldier".

   
     The inside of the card has a special scripture from Timothy that I thought suited the card.

      I am proud to be able to enter this card into this weeks Our Daily Bread weekly challenge.  For the challenge we were supposed to use something new, which is my new distress ink and ribbon this is also the first time I have used these stamps.  The paper is from a pad of DCWV that I have had for at least two years.

       What makes this card special is that it is part of a special pair of cards.  I have created a second card for his Grandmother using exactly the same scriptures inside and out.  I thought she would appreciate having the same scriptures as her grandson, a small connection to each other.  I actually chose the second scripture more for her but it was just right for both of them.

     This card is in a very different style.   It is something I don't usually do, a card with just a sentiment on the front.



     I am also entering this card in the Our Daily Bread Challenge. The new is the Ornate rectangle dies I just won from Just Rite Stamps.  The Old is the design paper which came from a Martha Stewart Baby Paper Pad that I bought on clearance quite a while back.


Our Daily Bread Stamps - Not Forgotten
                                         Bookmark Verses
                                         Scripture Collection 2
Design Paper - DCWV
                        Martha Stewart
Stazon Black Ink
Distress Ink - Broken China, Barn Red, Faded Jeans, Old Paper
Spellbinders - Ornate Rectangles
Dollar Store Satin Ribbon and Dimensional Flower Stickers
Offray Red Organdy Ribbon
Stars - Stash
3 M Foam Tap




8 comments:

  1. You are amazing. These are beautiful,and the feeling behind them just touches my heart. What a wonderful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Mary Anne!! These are both stunning!! I love them inside and out!! The paper on the first one is perfect!! The second card is so elegant!! I just love the aqua, your use of dies, and the bow. Thanks for joining the ODBD Shining the Light challenge this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was touched by the story of how these cards came about, Mary Anne! I love patriotic cards any way, but this one is special. Thank your young soldier for us...they give their all to keep us safe! Both cards are gorgeous! Thank YOU for joining the ODBD Challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! These are both stunning creations!! Love your elegant designs on both!! SO beautiful!! Thanks for sharing! HUGS :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful card for your friend's grandson:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not know when I have been touched so by a blog post ~ my heart aches for all those in service and their families. What a lovely thought and gift for these dear ones and thank you so much for sharing these with everyone. Best, Dru

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...love your cards...they are beautiful!! Awesome scripture verses...you made them just pop!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's just beautiful, the second card! And it's so interesting to see how you created such a beautiful feminine card and a real guy card both with the same verses. I love the ODBD verses on the front of a card - I surprise myself how often I use them.

    ReplyDelete