Blogger Layouts

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Vintage Spools

     I saw a project on Pinterest that inspired today's project.  It was a spool made from a cardboard tube and I took that idea and played around with it in my head for a few days and then saw some really intriguing paper at work and played with the idea some more until I sat down last Wednesday and started working on this.


 This took longer than normal to finish because I decided to get sick right in the middle of this project and let just say, I have not been that ill in years and hope not to be Ever again.

     Back to the project, I thought I would add tags to my first spool well because ummm, well because I could.  Since I was already working with a spool I went with a sewing theme.  The buttons on the button card are all made from cardstock.  I found a lovely set of dies that make a number of different buttons.


Because I love all things sparkly, their is stickles most of the lines on the button card and on the dress form.  The floral tag has faux stitching around teh edges and the I used pinking shears around the mat for the button tag.  They are held on the spool by Tim Holtz thingy holder pins.  If they have a real name, I don't know what it is.

    The large spool is a cardboard roll as I said and it is sandwiched between two cardboard circles I cut using my circle Nestabilities and glued in place.

  

     The base of the spool is wrapped with some crochet trim some inexpensive paper flowers and some of my favorite sparkly leaves left over from Christmas picks,  I buy these as clearance every year after Christmas.  The stick pin is just a corsage pin with the top colored to match my project with sharpie and some pretty beads.  I added design paper butterfly that has a overlay of acrylic stamped with book text.

     On the top of the spool are some more flowers a bow and buttons with some liquid pearls added  for shine interest.



     For the second smaller spool I distressed the edges of a wooden spool with ink then added some paper strips cut with my pinking shears, also distressed and stamped with a cute sentiment.  I added a few small butterflies from a punch, some similar stick pins and  a matching flower and ta-da  -  a cute little spool.


     I'm going to take this into work today and see if they would like to offer this as a class.  I've never taught a class before and I'm not sure what people are looking for so we'll see what the boss has to say.  If not, well that's cool too since I made this little project to look good in my living room on one of the side tables for a while until it moves on to a new owner.

  This project has been entered into the Shabby Tea Room Challenge Here



4 comments:

  1. awe this is sooooooooooooooo pretty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gracious these are fantabulous. I love them. What beauty they are. You are so talented Sweetie. I love your work. hugs, Cathy k

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, this is just adorable! I love this creation! Thanks for sharing it with us at The Shabby Tea Room this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my shabby goodness ... this is a beautiful project! And I'm so happy to see that you were able to include the newsprint butterfly to follow the challenge details - yay! Thanks for sharing this little lovelie with us in the Tea Room this week :)

    ReplyDelete