Blogger Layouts

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Asian Happiness

    I am very excited to share a special project today.  It's an ATC shrine.  I found a vendor recently for the best laser cut chipboard ever.  She sells all kinds of embellishments and kits and I was lucky enough to score this really kewl little ATC shrine.  It came unassembled and I painted it and put it together in a jiffy.  It was so simple even a grown up can do it.  Of course, decorating it took a whole lot longer.




      I have all kinds of Asian things in my stash.  I love many things Japanese and since I have a daughter in the Geisha themed entertainment business I am always on the look out for more.  The inspiration for this piece came from the geometric shape on the shrine door.  I knew this was the shrine I had to work on as soon as I saw it.  I painted the entire thing with a shiny black acrylic paint since that reminds me Asian screens and furnishings. Took a bit for the next piece of inspiration but only about 5 minutes, Graphic 45's wonderful Birdsong paper collection.  I choose a background for my shrine and went from there.



     Once the image was chosen it was simply a matter of layering the different  elements.  I just love the Taiyu (courtesan) in the background.  I wanted to see her in a lovely garden so I used a bit of peony paper for my next layer and since I love gardens lit by lanterns it was easy to add a lantern as the final layer of this shadow box type setup.  By the way, the Missouri Botanical Garden's Japanese Festival is just around the corner on Labor Day weekend.

     The top of the shrine has a metal fan charm creating a distinctive arch over the center of the shrine as well as a fun cocktail umbrella and a beautiful paper crane made by my daughter.  Origami is a skill that I just cannot seem to master.


     The back of the shrine has a piece of design paper as the background and then I attached the fan and umbrella next.  The different elements have been fussy cut from paper and then popped for dimension.  I also added a favorite coin charm.  I like the back just as much as the front and love that it doesn't matter what angle you view it from it looks super.  This piece will be displayed at For Keepsakes, my favorite scrap booking store, where I just happen to be lucky enough to work.

ATC Shrine Gina Designs
Design Paper Graphic 45 Birdsong
Charms from Stash
DMC Embroidery Floss

                                                                                                    

2 comments:

  1. This is Beautiful!!! I Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its spelled Tayuu :P

    http://kimono-san.blogspot.com/2012/06/cultural-topic-5-tayuu-and-oiran.html

    ReplyDelete