Blogger Layouts

Monday, November 25, 2013

Bleached Autumn

     Today's card is using a technique I learned years and years ago, but have never really used.  It's removing color and or stamping with bleach.  Just Rite stamps is hosting this as a challenge and so challenge accepted.  I wasn't really sure what or how I was going to use this technique but after thinking on it a bit, I decided that I would bleach the paper after stamping as opposed to stamping with the bleach.  I really wanted my design to stand out and I was afraid that if I used bleach to stamp the more intricate stamps I own, it wouldn't work as well.

   I started by embossing my sentiment my central circle and my corners with black onto an orange paper.  After bleaching the paper with a paint brush, the embossing turned to a wonderful chocolate brown that seems more like embossed leather.  I'm definitely going to be doing that again.  The orange paper turned from to cream with bits of orange showing through - lovely.  Next I stamped by background paper using the same embossing technique but onto gold paper.  The gold turned to a wonderful yellow with different shades showing through.


     The next step was to cut the intricate circle from dark green paper and to bleach that as well.  It turned a beautiful shade of yellow green that worked well with the other bleached papers.  

     I knew when I began this card that I was going to want to add leaves to the circle so I cut some using Spellbinder leaf dies and then stenciled them with the bleach.  Finally I added some cream vines that were distressed with old paper distress ink and also a solid circle under the green frame to showcase their lovely design.  

     I then mounted the image onto a piece of cream cardstock that had been dry embossed and distressed and added the corners.  The corners are popped and rounded to give it a really neat dimensional look.  The final layer is the dark green I began the leaves with to echo the green in the leaft and to contrast with the bleach affect.


     Here is a closeup of the central focus.  You can see the shades of color  and the dimensions better.




     Overall, I am tickled pink with this technique and plant to use it again soon.

This card is being entered into JustRite Stamps Challenge #JRC110

JustRite Stamps Autumn Labels. Twenty Two
                         Stiched Ribbon Background Stamp
                         Doilies and Lace
Bazzill Cardstock
Clorox Bleach
Versafine Black Ink
Stickles Gold 
Queen and Co. Adhesive Gems
3 M Foam Tape
Cuttlebug Embossing Folder
Old Paper Distress Ink
Spellbinder Dies - Circles
                            Splendid Circles
                            Leaves
Cheery Lynn Die - Vine Flourish





4 comments:

  1. I love the colors of your card! It really captures the beauty of fall. Such a great card!

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So clever! Love all the layers - SO PRETTY! Thanks for sharing with us at JustRite Inspiration ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your BEAUTIFUL Card and all of the FUN colors you were able to get!! Such a FUN design!! THANKS for sharing and have a Fabulous Thanksgiving Weekend!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful card. All the work was worth it. I love how the bleaching worked. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete